Last Updated: Nov 27, 2022
An RV GPS tracker is an essential way to monitor any RV. When you buy a new RV or travel trailer, it’s highly unlikely that it will have a pre-installed GPS tracker.
So, if you want your RV to be equipped with GPS tracking, then purchasing an RV GPS tracker system (aftermarket) is your best option.
From big Class A RVs that have multiple axles to small travel trailers for recreational enjoyment, you’ll want to protect your investment from loss or theft.
Now, you could just buy a random RV tracking system, however, if you’re looking for some expert advice on how to choose the best device for your particular needs then you’re in the right place.
No matter what your RV tracking needs may be or even your budget, we’ve done in-depth research aimed at including the top-rated options that are suitable for diversified needs and fit various budget ranges.
Our five best are suitable for any of the following RV types, and lastly, I’ll show you a cheaper way to track your RV.
Tracking for Different RV Types:
Travel Trailers and Campers
Travel trailers are somewhat similar to camping trailers in a number of ways but are actually considered to be more closely related to mobile homes and RV’s. In fact, some people call the terminology “travel trailer” a general term for basically any trailer used for mobile living.
Campers, on the other hand, are a generic term and the term usually refers to mobile living “trailers” that either ride on the backs of trucks or are towed by them.
So, whether it’s on your truck or towed behind it, you want to be able to track yours if it’s stolen and that requires a good quality trailer tracking device.
Larger 5th Wheel
A 5th wheel is a large camping trailer that is larger than travel trailers. They’re widely used for all kinds of purposes that range from bike trailers to car haulers, equipment trailers, motorcycle trailers, utility trailers, and much more.
Larger enclosed 5th wheels generally have a gate or a door at the rear plus a door located on one of the sides to provide easier access to the items inside. Not only do you not want to lose your enclosed travel trailer but also the contents in the event of RV theft.
That’s when a reliable RV GPS tracker device is a must.
Class A, B, and C
Class A, B, and C RVs have motors and are driven instead of being towed. Because of this, they have similar places to hide a GPS tracker as a car or truck would.
So, when you install an RV tracking GPS device, it will allow you to immediately start monitoring everything from driver activity to the distance, speed, and even the exact mileage that your trailers travel.
If you’re buying and installing GPS trailer tracking devices on your company’s fleet of tractor/trailers, you’ll realize a wide range of benefits, including the opportunity for:
- Protecting your RV from theft
- History of where your RV traveled
- Maximizing your RV utilization.
- Protecting your valuable cargo.
Best Locations on your RV to install a GPS Tracker
So, your next question would probably be about where you should install a trailer tracking device. The best mounting locations depend, of course, on the type of trailer.
Depending on the type of RV you have, there will be many good areas for hiding it.
The best mounting location for the majority of trackers will be inside the RV’s frame rail or close to the battery or power source. Why? Well, because it’s out of sight but still has fairly easy access to the power it needs and a view of the sky.
If your GPS tracking device is not magnetic, then you could use a strong Velcro adhesive that sticks to the trailer’s inside walls. One side will stick to the device and the other will be stuck to wherever you choose to place it.
Most RV tracking systems are waterproof and can even survive a serious storm. However, be sure to check the packaging and instructions for yours to make sure it can withstand any kind of weather. If not, you’ll need to give it a little help in this area.
Fortunately, there are some very good methods for making your tracking device waterproof while still taking advantage of the special features.
Some handy accessories for turning your tracking device into a waterproof GPS tracker include (but are not limited to) waterproof boxes and waterproof magnetic cases.
-Install in Roof AC or vent enclosure with air-conditioned trailers
-Install in the tongue crank housing near the hitch, RV battery box (see above pictures)
-Install in a registration box of dry trailers, wire into the 7-way receptacle. You can also paint the box white to help disguise it.
-Install in the cowling near the top front roof of the RV, most are fiberglass, so the GPS signal will work if hidden inside. Then connect direct power to the battery or 12v.
Hardwire to 12 Volts if Possible
Most RVs have house batteries or a generator battery that the GPS tracker could be connected to. This will provide hassle-free tracking without having to constantly charge the GPS battery.
This way even if the tracker loses power, when it is hooked up again it will get the power and start tracking.
* Remember to test the GPS tracker in a few locations on your trailer to see which performs best before settling on a permanent install.
The following are the best RV tracking devices tested:
LandAirSea-54 GPS Tracker (Made in the USA)
This tracker offers a magnet-mount that’s 100 percent waterproof as well as complete global coverage. It’s a real-time tracking device ( 4G LTE) that also offers geofencing, location reporting, and historical playback.
The box includes your tracker, charging accessories, and an on/off pin. The cheapest subscription plan (as of 5/30/22) is $19.95 per month (for 3 minute updates) unless you choose prepayment on either a 6 or a 12- month plan which offer considerable savings.
- Compatible with Android, iPhone, and MAC devices as well as PCs;
- Is one of the top GPS tracking devices on the market when it comes to versatility;
- Made of weatherproof materials, ultra-durable for standing up to tough weather conditions;
- Has LED lights that you can disable (via the app) so your device won’t give away the location;
- Includes a built-in high-powered magnet that makes it simple to install the device on your trailer;
- Includes a SIM card and there are no other accessories needed;
- Subscription is required;
Yes, this GPS tracker is not only an easy-to-use tracking device but also provides the capability of customizing all of your settings so you’re receiving all of the important updates (like tracker movement notifications and proximity alerts via emails, text messages, or even push notifications.
With all of those amazing features, you’ll rest easy knowing that, if something happens to your RV/camper, you’ll have a much better chance of recovering it and its contents.
- Reliable tracking of assets, people, or vehicles with this personal GPS.
- Offers an ultra-compact design with a built-in magnet that’s super-strong.
- 100% waterproof.
- Attaches easily to the frame.
- Tracking and mapping in real-time with Google Maps on the SilverCloud App or web-based software.
- Provides both email and text alerts.
|Dimensions||2.25 x 2.25 x 0.8 inches|
|Batteries||1 Lithium-ion battery required.|
Trak-4 GPS Tracker for Assets, Equipment, and Vehicles (complete w/ 12v wiring harness)
Its internal battery is high-capacity, which means that it continues operating even after disconnection from the 12-volt power system (or if your 12-volt power system happens to go dead).
In addition, the Trak-4 12V is capable of reporting for more than 12 months without charging it again.
- You can use this device with your computer, tablet, or phone;
- You get unlimited cell data;
- No contract is required;
- No activation or cancellation fees;
- SIM card built-in;
- Costs $6.99 a month (prepaid annually) or $12.99 per month (paid monthly);
- Subscription required;
- Only works in the U.S.
For charging, all you have to do is connect the device to 12-volts on your RV for continual trickle charging. And, it’s quite easy to use, too. Anybody can sign in and start to use this device in just minutes.
Basically, it’s “just attach and go”. You can start getting texts or email alerts whenever your device and your RV leave or enter a selected area. You can also receive alerts when your battery gets low. The device itself is weatherproof and made for both indoor/outdoor use with its sturdy commercial housing, while still remaining conveniently small.
- You can choose between Elite or Battery-Saver reporting frequencies.
- Your Trak-4 checks in once a day even when your camper isn’t moving.
- You can track multiple units using the same map with Expert Mapping.
- Map history includes animated trails for indicating your device’s direction of travel over time.
- Sharing your device location with business associates, family, and friends in real-time is easy with Unlimited Sharing.
- Trak-4’s cell-trilateration gives you an approximate location (if there’s no GPS signal available like inside your garages).
|Dimensions||4.25 x 2.25 x 1.1 inches|
|Model #||Trak-4 12v|
|Batteries||1 Lithium-ion battery (included)|
Spytec GPS Tracker (GL300) with App and Real-Time Tracking
It utilizes 4G satellite technology for receiving location alerts via its Android and iOS apps. With its easy-to-use software, you can watch your RV tracker as it’s moving on a map, and customizing the boundaries and alerts is simple as well and the same goes for watching speed, historical data, distance, and more.
- Very easy to set up and track;
- Extremely reliable;
- Rechargeable battery lasts up to two weeks;
- The automatic low-battery alert helps you with planning ahead and tracking longer;
- Customer support is only available via online chat;
- High monthly subscription;
How about reliable service, you ask? This Spytec GPS Tracker also offers a 99.99 percent uptime as well as a .256 millisecond processing time. Simply put, the cloud-based technology used by this tracker is capable of giving you all of the data that you want, and exactly when you want it.
Size and versatility are also very important factors when choosing a GPS tracker and this one is one inch thick and offers a two-week battery life. All you have to do is set/activate and then use your GPS tracker to keep your RV secure.
Spytec’s subscription prices start at $25.95 per month if paid annually or $29.95 per month if paid monthly. With your subscription, you get free 24/7 support plus a lifetime warranty on your GPS RV tracking device.
- Get flexible measurements (either imperial or metric units).
- Use follow mode for watching your tracker moving across the map in real-time.
- Track your team, users, and/or tiered permissions.
- Use group monitoring on the same account.
- Get help from the Help Center and Webinars to get up and track with no unanswered questions.
- Create custom boundaries.
- Get detailed tracking information.
- Receive customized alerts.
- Get changeable maps.
- View your tracking activity in light mode, dark mode, or satellite view.
|Dimensions||1 x 1.5 x 3 inches|
Spark Nano 7 GPS Tracker by Brickhouse Security
That’s because the amazing Spark Nano 7 is operating on the 4G networks across Canada, Mexico, and the US, which are lightning-fast with future-proof coverage.
- On standby, the battery lasts up to 15 days;
- While active, the battery lasts 8 days;
- You can track it on your cell phone with any provider;
- The magnet is quite strong;
- The tracker is both small and sleek;
- Only programmed for use in Canada, Mexico, and the US;
- Subscription required;
The Brickhouse Security subscriptions are affordable. They include three different plans for you to choose from. They are the annual plan, the quarterly plan, and the monthly plan.
The most cost-efficient is, of course, the annual subscription plan at $17.99 per month ($215.88 per year). Next is the quarterly plan at $22.99 per month ($275.88 per year/$68.97 every three months). The highest price is for the monthly plan at $29.99 ($359.88 per year). However, there are no contracts required for any of the subscription plans and the company offers you the option of hassle-free cancellation at any time.
- Smallest GPS Tracker with coverage (4G) all over North America.
- Waterproof magnetic case.
- View your GPS RV tracker’s location in real-time.
- No long-term contract is required.
|Dimensions||5.5 x 5 x 4.1 inches|
|Batteries||1 Lithium Polymer battery (included)|
Tracki – 4G GPS Hidden Tracker/Locator
It features advanced 4G LTE Technology. These days, with 2G and 3G coverage gradually coming to an end, it’s now time to start upgrading to 4G LTE because it can provide better network coverage for ensuring a stable high-speed connection for tracking devices.
They have a 12v power adapter cord that works well to hardwire this tracker.
Smallest subscription plan is $20 / month.
- This 4G hidden magnetic GPS tracker has a strong magnet and high-gain GPS module;
- Activation only requires a simple email to the company’s support line;
- Comes with a Sim card already installed;
- Doesn’t require a clear view of the sky;
- Three working modes, including normal, intelligent, and power-saving;
- Various Smart Alerts range from a vibration alert to a geofence alert, low-battery alert, and more;
- 3 – 5 days battery life;
- Some units would only display kilometers per hour and meters;
This hidden GPS tracker is capable of keeping a 180-day tracking history. It also features historical track playback and multi-smart alerts. In addition, it’s built to last from the heavy-duty materials used in manufacturing to the IP65 water-resistant housing. And, this tracking device also features an extended battery (10000mah) that can last as many as 20 days or more (on a full charge).
With 30-second updates and three working modes for supporting efficient power saving, you have the option with this tracking device for modifying your settings according to your particular needs. This GPS tracker uses Google Maps for mapping and tracking. If you’re involved in fleet management, this device is convenient for keeping you advised of your RVs’ current locations in real-time.
One of the more unusual (and always welcome) features of this tracker is the fact that it comes with one free year of subscription service included. And, renewal for the 2 years is $239.00. So, your company can easily afford a tracker for each and every RV and track their whereabouts via Android, iPhone, or Web app.
- SIM card included.
- Supports a 3G/4G network.
- Is an innovative GPS+LBS type of tracker/locator that’s well-designed for keeping assets safe.
- Delivers high-quality and very powerful software functions.
- IP65 waterproof.
- Provides a history playback, tamper alarm, geofence, and more.
|Dimensions|| 2.91 x 2.72 x 1.38 inches|
|Batteries||One Lithium Polymer battery (included)|
RV Trailer Tracking Software & App
Each of these trackers comes with a mobile app that allows you to track the location of your RV. Most also include a desktop app that makes it easier to monitor if you don’t have your phone.
A Cheaper Way to GPS Track your RV
Did you know a cell phone makes the best GPS tracker?
It can be hardwired into your RV just like a standard GPS tracker and can be hidden in places other trackers can’t because of the GPS receiver sensitivity and cellular coverage.
Many people have old phones that they are not using. Dust it off and put it to work as a tracker.
(you’ll have a backup phone in the RV in case of emergency)
Even used phones can be had for under $100.
And the most important part is the monthly cost.
Just about all GPS trackers and the ones mentioned above have about $20 / month costs, but there are cell phone plans that are less than $10 per month and are perfect for use as a GPS tracker because the data used is so small.
If you already have a spare phone and use a cheap plan, this could be the closest thing to a free GPS tracker for your RV.
The phone tracker could even use your mobile hotspot if you have one, then turn on the data plan when needed. Then you can turn on/off the data plan when needed, for seasonal use.
See our mobile tracking kit and $8 data plan.
Once you get the data plan and phone, all that is needed is to install the Trakkit app on the phone. Search the app store for trakkit.
In addition, the Trakkit app will continue to record your GPS locations even if there is no WiFi or Cell coverage and upload it as soon as a connection comes back.
For a quick test, install the Trakkit app on a phone and place it in a few areas on your RV and drive around. Don’t forget to try it in the metal battery box too. Other GPS trackers don’t work in metal boxes, but the mobile phone will.
Then monitor it from another phone (once you Shared it).
Phone GPS Tracker can be Hardwired
The phone can be hardwired via 12 v USB adapter, and then hidden where you decide.
It’s quite clear that RV GPS trackers are a good option for adding safety and security to your already busy life. They can definitely help you with keeping track of your RV as well as any contents involved if theft occurs.
Your tracker accomplishes this by allowing you to be constantly knowledgeable about its whereabouts at all times. No matter worrying constantly about your RV or camper when you’re up-to-date at all times regarding its whereabouts. Yes, many require a subscription but it’s minimal when you compare it to the cost you could incur if thieves target your RV.
Hopefully, the above info about our choice of the five best RV trailer GPS tracking devices will be of some help to you in choosing the best one for your needs.
See also GPS navigation systems for your RV.