Last Updated: Sep 12, 2022
What is GPS Tracking for Farm Equipment?
Farm equipment GPS tracking combines hardware with software to track your best and riskiest assets and equipment for the farm and agriculture industry.
It uses GPS tracking devices whose data communicate with satellite systems to monitor its location.
Each GPS tag is connected in one way to several satellites to calculate the position a particular satellite can take at any moment when checking for an indication.
The more GPS Satellites the tracking device has to communicate with, the greater the accuracy of its positioning reports and the faster a GPS tag reports the location of the asset tracking in real time, for farm owners.
Agricultural & Farm Equipment Tracking
Is there a reliable way for an employee’s team to use a tractor?
Without asset tracking, farmers will only be forced to guess how much time their equipment and assets will be used and how effectively they will function.
Each GPS tracker uses a mobile cellular network, similar to your phone, to send the location data. Therefore, they all require some form of a monthly subscription.
Tracking your farm equipment provides you with real-time tracking data for the best way of detecting the exact location of your asset. GPS tracking gives you the flexibility to monitor the equipment in various places easily.
Are tractors needed on new sites? Find out where they are or when they will arrive.
Track where your Farm Equipment is
The GPS-connected trackers are designed to pinpoint the precise location of the equipment.
So it’s 100% possible to know the right equipment to use at the right place to be. GPS tracking technology will tell when someone is taking advantage of your farm equipment.
The tracking software can be loaded into an app installed on a mobile device and is accessible through cellular networks. You can easily find your equipment using the tracking software or application, and you can set alerts when it is used illegally.
GPS Tracking needed for Farm Equipment Types:
- Harrow beds
You can use GPS to track a larger asset management system.
The lack of a work crew is costly for any job site. Tracking can be a powerful tool for analyzing and making more informed resource decisions about workforce management.
Receive Real-Time Data About Equipment Location and Use
These GPS trackers are used to track farm equipment and provide real-time information.
This system enables farm companies to monitor equipment at any given moment and allows them to take a proactive approach to their tasks.
Farm equipment tracking does not only provide information about asset locations, but managers will be able to track engine hours and performance, travel time, and other parameters. It helps to keep your team accountable.
Ensure optimal use of assets
The misuse of farm machine equipment and assets adds to the cost of the farm site.
Equipment trackers can assist with the efficient use of asset tracking information. Tracking your tractors allows companies operating multiple jobs to quickly locate their gear and deliver it wherever they need it.
The farm manager may monitor engine idle times to minimize idle time. Geo-fencing may be useful to stop unauthorized access to business equipment.
Protect your Investment in Farm Machinery
How do I get more detailed information about GPS systems?
Similar technologies are applied to track all sorts of machinery and equipment – from grass cutters to harvesters to bulldozers of any size.
Farm equipment tracking devices are installed in machinery so management can monitor the utilization of assets at all times.
Asset trackers offer a wide array of security tools and services to keep your vehicles protected. Your equipment is an expensive investment so it is important for the equipment to function properly.
Increase your Equipment Uptime
A failure is a problem that can cause missed deadlines, loss of income, an unhappy customer experience or missed harvesting deadlines.
Farm Equipment Telematics is able to track and monitor maintenance needs and helps schedule proactive services faster.
The Best GPS Tracking Devices for Farm Equipment tested:
LandAirSea-54 Asset Tracker (Made in the USA)
This tracker offers a magnet-mount that’s 100 percent waterproof as well as complete global coverage. It’s a real-time tracking device ( 4G LTE) that also offers geofencing, location reporting, and historical playback. The box includes your tracker, charging accessories, and an on/off pin.
The cheapest subscription plan (as of 12/31/21) is $19.95 per month (for 3-minute pings) unless you choose prepayment on either a 6 or 12- month plan. There are considerable savings offered with both plans.
- Compatible with Android, iPhone, and MAC devices as well as PCs;
- One of the best tracking systems on the market when it comes to versatility;
- Made of weatherproof materials, ultra-durable for standing up to tough weather conditions;
- Has LED lights that you can disable (via the app) so your device won’t give away the location;
- Includes a built-in high-powered magnet that makes it simple to install the device on your equipment;
- Includes a SIM card and there are no other accessories needed;
- Subscription is required;
Yes, this GPS tracker is not only an easy-to-use tracking device but also provides the capability of customizing all of your settings so you’re receiving all of the important updates (like tracker movement notifications and proximity alerts via emails, text messages, or even push notifications. With all of those amazing features, you’ll rest easy knowing that, if something happens to your equipment, you’ll have a much better chance of recovering it and its contents.
- Offers reliable asset tracking on job sites.
- Offers an ultra-compact design with a built-in magnet that’s super-strong.
- 100% waterproof.
- Attaches easily to the equipment frame.
- Tracking and mapping in real-time with Google Maps on the SilverCloud App or web-based software.
- Provides both email and text alerts.
|Dimensions||2.25 x 2.25 x 0.8 inches|
|Batteries||1 Lithium-ion battery required.|
Trak-4 GPS Tracking System for Assets, Farm (complete w/ 12v wiring harness)
Its internal battery is high-capacity, which means that it continues operating even after disconnection from the 12-volt power system (or if your 12-volt power system happens to go dead). In addition, the Trak-4 12V is capable of reporting for more than 12 months without charging it again.
- You can use this device with your computer, tablet, or phone;
- You get unlimited cell data;
- No contract is required;
- No activation or cancellation fees;
- SIM card built-in;
- Only costs $6.99 a month (prepaid annually) or $12.99 per month (paid monthly);
- Subscription required;
- Only works in the U.S.
For charging, all you have to do is connect the device to 12-volts on your equipment for continual trickle charging. And, it’s quite easy to use, too. Anybody can sign in and start to use this device in just minutes. Basically, it’s “just attach and go”. You can start getting texts or email alerts whenever your device and your equipment leave or enter a selected area. You can also receive alerts when your battery gets low. The device itself is weatherproof and made for both indoor/outdoor use with its sturdy commercial housing, while still remaining conveniently small.
- You can choose between Elite or Battery-Saver reporting frequencies.
- Your Trak-4 checks in once a day even when your equipment isn’t moving.
- You can track multiple units using the same map with Expert Mapping.
- Map history includes animated trails for indicating your device’s direction of travel over time.
- Sharing your device location with business associates, family, and friends in real-time is easy with Unlimited Sharing.
- Trak-4’s cell-trilateration gives you an approximate location (if there’s no GPS signal available like inside your garages).
|Dimensions||4.25 x 2.25 x 1.1 inches|
|Model #||Trak-4 12v|
|Batteries||1 Lithium-ion battery (included)|
Spytec (GL300) with App and Real-Time Tracking
It utilizes 4G satellite technology for receiving location alerts via its Android and iOS apps. With its easy-to-use software, you can watch your tracker as it’s moving on a map, and customizing the boundaries and alerts is simple as well and the same goes for seeing speed, past data, speed, distance, and more.
- Very easy to set up and track;
- Extremely reliable;
- Rechargeable battery lasts up to two weeks;
- The automatic low-battery alert helps you with planning ahead and tracking longer;
- Customer support is only available via online chat;
- Requires monthly subscription;
How about reliable service, you ask? This Spytec GPS Tracker also offers a 99.99 percent uptime as well as a .256 millisecond processing time. Simply put, the cloud-based technology used by this tracker is capable of giving you all of the data that you want, and exactly when you want it.
Size and versatility are also very important factors when choosing GPS trackers and this one is one inch thick and offers a two-week battery life. All you have to do is set/activate and then use your this tracker to keep your equipment secure. And, the affordable subscription is another plus. Spytec’s subscription prices start at $19.95 per month if paid annually or $24.95 per month if paid monthly. With your subscription, you get free 24/7 support plus a lifetime warranty on your GPS equipment tracking device.
- Get flexible measurements (either imperial or metric units).
- Use follow mode for watching your tracker moving across the map in real-time.
- Track your team, users, and/or tiered permissions.
- Use group monitoring on the same account.
- Get help from the Help Center and Webinars to get up and track with no unanswered questions.
- Create custom boundaries.
- Get detailed tracking information.
- Receive customized alerts.
- Get changeable maps.
- View your tracking activity in light mode, dark mode, or satellite view.
|Dimensions||1 x 1.5 x 3 inches|
Spark Nano 7 GPS Tracker by Brickhouse Security
That’s because the amazing Spark Nano 7 is operating on the 4G networks across Canada, Mexico, and the US, which are lightning-fast with future-proof coverage.
- On standby, the battery lasts up to 15 days;
- While active, the battery lasts 8 days;
- You can track it on your cell phone with any provider;
- The magnet is quite strong;
- The tracker is both small and sleek;
- Only programmed for use in Canada, Mexico, and the US;
- Subscription required;
The Brickhouse Security subscriptions are affordable. They include three different plans for you to choose from. They are the annual plan, the quarterly plan, and the monthly plan. The most cost-efficient is, of course, the annual subscription plan at $17.99 per month ($215.88 per year). Next is the quarterly plan at $22.99 per month ($275.88 per year/$68.97 every three months). The highest price is for the monthly plan at $29.99 ($359.88 per year). However, there are no contracts required for any of the subscription plans and the company offers you the option of hassle-free cancellation at any time.
- Smallest GPS Tracker with coverage (4G) all over North America.
- Waterproof magnetic case.
- View your GPS equipment tracker’s location in real-time.
- No long-term contract is required.
|Dimensions||5.5 x 5 x 4.1 inches|
|Batteries||1 Lithium Polymer battery (included)|
Tracki – 4G GPS Hidden Tracker/Locator
It features advanced 4G LTE Technology. These days, with 2G and 3G coverage gradually coming to an end, it’s now time to start upgrading to 4G LTE because it can provide better network coverage for ensuring a stable high-speed connection for tracking devices.
- This 4G hidden magnetic GPS tracker has a strong magnet and high-gain GPS module;
- Activation only requires a simple email to the company’s support line;
- Comes with a Sim card already installed;
- Doesn’t require a clear view of the sky;
- Three working modes, including normal, intelligent, and power-saving;
- Various Smart Alerts range from a vibration alert to a geofence alert, low-battery alert, and more;
- Can be difficult to update the time;
- Some units would only display kilometers per hour and meters;
This hidden GPS tracker is capable of keeping a 180-day tracking history. It also features historical track playback and multi-smart alerts. In addition, it’s built to last from the heavy-duty materials used in manufacturing to the IP65 water-resistant housing. And, this tracking device also features an extended battery (10000mah) that can last as many as 20 days or more (on a full charge).
With 30-second updates and three working modes for supporting efficient power saving, you have the option with this tracking device for modifying your settings according to your particular needs. And, this GPS tracker uses Google Maps for mapping and tracking. If you’re involved in fleet management, this device is convenient for keeping you advised of your equipment’s current locations in real-time.
One of the more unusual (and always welcome) features of this tracker is the fact that it comes with one free year of subscription service included. And, renewal for the second year is only $69.00. So, your company can easily afford a tracker for each and every piece of equipment and track their whereabouts via Android, iPhone, or Web app.
- SIM card included.
- Supports a 3G/4G network.
- Is an innovative GPS+LBS type of tracker/locator that’s well-designed for keeping assets safe.
- Delivers high-quality and very powerful software functions.
- IP65 waterproof.
- Provides a history playback, tamper alarm, geofence, and more.
|Dimensions|| 2.91 x 2.72 x 1.38 inches|
|Batteries||One Lithium Polymer battery (included)|
Farm GPS Tracking Software & App
Each of these trackers comes with an app that allows you to track the location of your equipment. Most also include a desktop app that makes it easier to monitor from the commercial dispatch centers and terminals.
They may also have an API that can tie the tracking data into your backend systems.
Best Way to GPS Track your Farm Equipment
Did you know a cell phone makes the best GPS tracker?
It can be hardwired into your equipment and vehicles just like a standard GPS tracker and can be hidden in places other trackers can’t because of the GPS receiver sensitivity and cell coverage, like a trailer battery lockbox.
See our article on GPS tracker testing in a metal toolbox.
Many companies have old phones that they repurpose for tracking.
Even used phones can be had for under $80.
Check out more on using a phone as a GPS tracker.
And a very cheap data plan is most important, see more about $5 data plans.
It’s quite clear that farm equipment GPS tracking devices are a good option for adding safety and security to your already busy life. They can definitely help you with keeping track of your farm equipment (or even fleet trailer tracking) as well as any contents involved if theft occurs.
Your tracker accomplishes this by allowing you to be constantly knowledgeable about its whereabouts at all times. No matter worrying constantly about your equipment when you’re up-to-date at all times regarding its whereabouts.
Yes, many require a subscription but it’s minimal when you compare it to the cost you could incur if thieves target your farm machinery or tools.
Hopefully, the above info about our choice of the five best farm equipment GPS tracking devices will be of some help to you in choosing the best device for your needs.